剧本台词: 王华艺 (2020届毕业博士生)
视频剪辑: 李宪磊 (2020届毕业博士生)
视频配音: 宋甘霖 (2020届毕业硕士生)
视频链接:纳米后浪-哔哩哔哩
纳米后浪 - 博士版本
The Waves Behind – a salute to PhD students
那些口口声声说博士生一代不如一代的人,
Those who keep saying ‘each generation of PhD students is worse than the last’,
应该看看你们,像我一样,
should look at you in the way that I do.
我看着你们,满怀羡慕。
The way I see you, with pure envy.
人类积攒了几千年的谜题,像是专门为你们准备的盛宴,
Over thousands of years, mankind accumulated so many problems, prepared for you like a present.
能源,医学和材料,
Energy, medicine, materials……
每个领域一点点的进步,都是成千上万博士生的血肉之躯。
Thousands of PhD students devote themselves to driving progress in these fields, a tiny little step a time.
很多博士生,
Many of them
五岁有志于科学,二十入纳米中心,二十五已进入不惑之年,
became interested in science at 5, joined the NCNST at 20, and are free of confusion at only 25.
不惑于自己的平凡,不惑于自己的渺小,
They know they are mere mortals, insignificant beings,
不惑于自己的搬砖工身份。
toiling away like bricklayers.
你的课题就是你的生活,
Your research project is your life.
你们拥有了我们梦寐以求的权力,
What you have is the right we could only dream of,
毕业后选择去哪里做博后和做几次博后的权力,
the right to choose where to be a post-doc, and how many post-doctoral fellowships you want.
你有幸能够见到这样的科研圈,
You are lucky to find the science community as we know it.
科研圈更有幸遇见这样的你。
but the science community is even more fortunate to have members like you.
我看着你们满怀敬意。
I look at all of you, with the utmost respect.
向你们的坚强致敬,
I respect your grit.
你们要忍受课题无进展的孤独,迷茫和灰暗,
When your research is going nowhere, you have to weather through lonely, uncertain, bleak times,
承受同辈人已成家立业的心酸,压抑和郁闷。
feeling sorry for yourselves when your peers are already married and have started a career.
凌晨3点的保福寺桥不相信眼泪,
At 3 am, the Baofusi Bridge does not believe in tears.
你们用自己的发际线换来了半夜才能随心所欲使用的Confocol。
You trade your hairlines for the ability to use Confocol freely in the small hours.
向你们的自信致敬,
I respect your confidence.
合适的岗位就像科研楼永远都等不到的电梯,
Like the elevators at the Research Building that take forever to arrive, suitable jobs are so hard to come by.
弱小的公司才会拒绝大龄女博士的简历,
Only weak firms would reject resumés of female PhDs who are no longer as young as they once were.
强大的单位从不吝啬编制和假期。
Strong employers are never mean with tenure or holidays.
向你们的勇气致敬,
I respect your courage.
小人一图多用,君子万里挑一,
The ignoble are unscrupulous, while the righteous are principled and persevering.
不撞南墙不回头,更年轻的身体,
They won’t quit until they have tried all options.
耐得住更多的冷眼和更大的竞争压力。
Young people are better at dealing with snubs and pressure from competition.
有一天终于发现,博士是一场孤独的修行。
Someday you’ll finally realize that doing a PhD is like embarking on a lonely adventure.
那些抱怨博士生一代不如一代的人,应该看看你们,
Those who keep saying ‘each generation of PhD candidates is worse than the last’, should look at you,
像我一样,我看着你们满怀感激,
in the way that I do. I look at you with sheer gratitude.
因为你们,这个世界会更相信教育的力量,
You give the world more confidence in the power of education,
知识的力量。
and knowledge.
一封封的拒信终换来接收函的美妙愉悦,
You rejoice at the arrival of an acceptance letter after getting repeated rejections.
一点点进步终得到导师肯定和期许的眼神,
You get affirmation and encouragement from your advisers as you gradually make progress.
一次次失败终迎来实验成功时的欢欣雀跃,
You enjoy the exhilaration from a successful experiment after so many failures.
一缕缕坚持终汇聚成答辩通过时师友祝福的掌声。
You smile when you pass your thesis defense, as professors and friends applaud your perseverance.
廉价的快乐不值得留恋,
Cheap happiness is not valuable.
真正的快乐是披荆斩棘到达终点时的展颜。
You’ll find true happiness after reaching the destination of an Odyssean quest.
几年的成长和磨练,让我们更加坚毅,
In this adventure, you grow stronger over the years.
一路走来的伤疤与泪痕,是一名博士生的功勋章。
The scars you bear and the tears you shed are your medals of honor.
北一条的银杏,科学会堂的雪,一年又一年的牡丹,
The ginkgoes at Beiyitiao, the snow at the Hall of Science, and the peonies that bloom every year.
因为你们,他们的美才有了存在的意义。
Your very presence gives meaning to beauty of these things.
科技的崛起,纳米的奇迹,5G的发展,
Major progress in science and technology, miracles of nano science, and the development of 5G.
因为你们,国家才拥有了谈判桌上强硬的资本。
Your very existence makes the country more assertive at the negotiating table.
心中有火,眼中有光!
You have fire in your hearts, and light in your eyes.
我们这一代人的想象力不足以想象你们的未来,
People of our generation could hardly imagine what your future will be like.
如果你们依然需要我们的祝福,
But if you still need a word to the wise,
那么,奔涌吧,后浪!
well then, forge ahead!
我们在同一条奔涌的河流。
We are in the midst of the same raging river.